Malty Mike's Brew Blog

An Epic Journey in Home Brewing

Malty Mike starts his blog

By Malty Mike

Well I am about to start my journey into the frays of Home Brewing. That sentence may or may not make sense but I figure it will serve as a introduction (see: warning) of what you may expect from this blog. I am what you might call, "not the best writer," and I have no qualms about that and if anyone intends to possible check in on my situation from time to time, they must also be sans qualms.

I have been thinking about brewing beer for about a year now and for some reason or another it just never happened. About 3 weeks ago my loving, wonderful, perfect, supportive girlfriend asked me why I haven't started brewing my own beer yet and I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer. So it was that moment I decided the time was now, no more excuses, its time to buy a kit, and plus once I have the kit in my possession making the beer would be the easy part.. right?

Admittingly, while putting off buying the beer brewing kit, I also put off learning anything about actually brewing beer. My only research consisted of trying out as many new kinds of dark malty beers I could get my hands on. A quick Google search of "home beer kit" brought up a substantial number of sites. The first I clicked on was homebrewers.com which proclaimed it was "The #1 site for Beer and Wine Making Kits, Supplies, and Equipment." Sounds sort of wonderful right? After about a few days of looking at different kits and asking myself the real tough questions like: "Do I really need a 21 inch spoon" and "If I'm just starting is a secondary fermenter really necessary" With a quick "Yes" and a reassuring nod to myself I was ready to pull the trigger. I decided to go with the "Beer Making Plus Kit with Secondary Fermenter and Ingredients" This came with one kit, and being Malty Mike, I went with the beartooth stout, which I didn't read too much about but I would assume uses some bear parts during fermentation to enhance a mans stamina, if you know what I mean. But this process was not without fault, which I will go over in my next post, which I hope will serve as a learning tool for anyone who is interested in starting out brewing their own beer.

The reason I am actually sharing all of this information is because of my aforementioned girlfriend Erika. She has been super supportive in my efforts and is really excited for me to get started. She picked out this lovely blog template that you see here. I have been watching her start her own blog, Erikurious (which you can see here.. (show your wife/girlfriend/more feminine guy friends because she is far better at cooking than I will ever be at brewing beer. (How many sets of nested parentheses is too many you might ask.. 3!)))


3 Comments

Hi my Malty Mike,
I am so happy to see your blog up and running!! I can't wait to follow along in your epic journey and experience it all together. ~Ppoppo~

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sorry I was just trying out deleting comments, It took me forever but I think its all working now.

Thank you Erika for the amazing amount of support you give me.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment