Malty Mike's Brew Blog

An Epic Journey in Home Brewing

Malty Mike Brews His First Beer

By Malty Mike

Well I brewed my first batch of beer! Yes I know I know, NBD. (no big deal for those of you scratching your heads right now). But this is a big deal, I have officially taken my first step to becoming a brew master. I found the whole process very fun and interesting. I started the brewing around 10:30 pm and finished around 1 in the morning..
Beartooth Stout Kit:

I would say everything went very smoothly. I didn't follow the directions that came with my kit, instead I used the directions given in John Palmer's "How To Brew". The main difference between the 2 was my kit said to put in the specialty grains and take them out right before the pot begins to boil where Mr. Palmer said to steep the grains between 150 and 170 degrees for 30 minutes.

I have not build my immersion chiller yet so I bought 2 bags of ice and filled my bath tub up with water for its nice cold bath. Since I have read how this method is not the best for chilling ther wort, I left it for 30 minutes before pouring the 2.5 gallons of wort into my 2.5 gallons of cold water. The final temperature was around 65 degrees. colder than the desired 75 degrees the wort should be but, I did not see any particles of a cold break. Does anyone have any idea why I didnt get any cold break? But I poured in my yeast , shook it for a good 3-4 minutes, took a sample and checked my OG. 1.052, .002 higher than the kit says, but I'll take it.

Everything looks good so far, its just stiiting in the bucket in my closet that is holding steady at 66.2 degrees. The only problems where I may have messed up are.

-Some condensation from the lid and 1 drop of cold ice water from my hand fell into the beer while it was cooling.
-My kit said to add the finishing hops with 5 minutes left in the boil, that seems too short to me
-Some Sanitation liquid fell into the fermenter while i was putting in the airlock

I hope everything works out! I guess its just time to be patient and wait for this thing to bubble..

Please Please bubble!!!!


Here are a few extra pics
The Hot Break Forming Nicely
Erika Doing Her Best Hop Addition Pose
Hops Added To The Rolling Boil
1.052!






No Comment

Post a Comment

Post a Comment